Also known as ‘veggie pop-overs’, this is a wonderful way of getting more veg into the diet.
Article Source: Food 24
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- 2 cup self-raising flour
- 2 Tbs Ina Paarman’s seasoned salt
- Freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped and sautéed in a little oil until soft
- 2 large carrots – peeled and coarsely grated
- 250 ml grated butternut
- 6 baby marrows – washed and grated
- 1 small red pepper – finely chopped
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 125 ml milk
- 3 large eggs
- Servings: 18
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Sift flour, salt and pepper into a LARGE mixing bowl.
- Add the grated cheese and mix until coated in the flour.
- Beat the oil, milk and eggs together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the liquid together with the prepared vegetables. Mix until just combined – do not over mix.
- Spoon into a greased muffin tray/s and bake for +- 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- NOTE: These muffins do not rise a lot because of the high veggie content.
- Remove from muffins tray/s and cool on a wire rack.
TIP: This mixture can be baked in a large loaf tin or a 20 cm spring form tin for +- 45 – 50 minutes.